Developed in Korea, PDO threads soon gained popularity worldwide, including Europe. The treatment concept is very simple and involves implantation of soluble threads under the skin. By dissolving gradually, the threads stimulate the synthesis of collagen, fibroblasts and angiogenesis. The skin becomes more smooth and radiant, wrinkles disappear, the face oval raises, “pores” are narrowed, sagging tissues are strengthened – skin lifting effect is achieved.
PDO threads are synthetic monofilament fibres.
The threads are constructed of one wisp and have a uniform surface without cuppings or furrows where bacteria could grow. An advantage of the threads is very smooth passage through tissues, which eliminates structural damage during sewing. Total period of dissolution is 180 - 210 days. The threads have been used for many years, among others in plastic surgery, ophthalmology, gynaecology and general surgery. The material is atraumatic and neutral to the tissues, it does not demonstrate pyrogenic or antigenic properties.
- no special preparation before the treatment
- instant effects
- high efficiency
- no cuts or scars
- completely absorbable
- possibility to repeat the procedure
- threads are not visible or sensible
The procedure is suitable for patients from approximately 30 years of age when the first ageing symptoms appear. There is no upper age limit.
Is this a painful treatment?
The procedure does not involve pain, bleeding or swelling. The patient may feel slight stinging, similarly to an acupuncture treatment.
When does the effect appear and how long does it last?
The first effects are visible after 2-3 weeks, but considerable improvement appears after 2-3 months, when induction of new collagen begins.
The effect is long lasting (up to 2 years).
Medical consultation is performed before the treatment, during which the doctor discusses in detail the principle and effects of the treatment. The procedure takes approximately one hour (depending on the number of threads used. On average, approximately 40-50 threads are needed for the face).
First, the treated area is anaesthetised with cream, following which the doctor implants threads in the right manner and at the right place.
There are no contraindications against returning to the patient’s daily activity. Reddening at the thread introduction spots disappear 3-5 hours after the treatment.
Contraindications and adverse effects
There are no adverse effects or complications. The treatment may be performed throughout the year – sunlight is not a contraindication.
- pregnancy and breastfeeding
- neoplastic diseases
- open wounds or skin lesions
- blood coagulability disorders
- ongoing anti-thrombosis treatment
- horizontal and vertical forehead wrinkles
- forehead lift
- lowered outer eyebrow ends
- flaccid tissue, sagging eyebrows
- lower eyelid – bags under the eyes
- distinct nasolabial furrow
- cheek-yoke groove
- chin furrow
- marionette furrow (marionette lines)
- V lifting
- sagging cheeks and area under the lower jaw
- skin furrow on the cheek
- creased cheeks
- skin furrows and wrinkles on the neck and cleavage
- breast firming and shaping
- flaccid tissues and stretch marks on the buttocks, belly, arms and legs
- insensitive subcutaneous tissue and skin (after liposuction treatments)
- obesity – arms, belly, ribs, thighs, buttocks